Sunday, June 26, 2011

Green Lantern, and It's Kind of a Funny Story

Green Lantern, VF, but not Cheese-F


I went into this movie knowing hardly anything about about the Green Lantern, and came away with the impression that he is a whiny, commitment-phobe pussy. Did they mean to do that? He sees an alien, puts on the magic ring, goes to the Latern hub-thing, gets trained by an Alien to use his nigh-limitless superpowers and he's on the fence about it? Sure, I like the puppy eyes of Ryan Reynolds as much as the next person, but a superhero should be using his powers for good, not for pouting.

The special effects also came across as kind of fake. They did the whole CGI'd suit thing, and they had all the aliens from all the other sectors and stuff, and I think they were trying to make them all look as if they were illuminated from the inside by the green light of will, but it ended up looking kind of plastic... but not nearly as plastic as the performance of the leading lady, Blake Lively, from Gossip Girl. BA-ZING! No really, she's terrible.

The saving grace of this movie were the performances of the two villians, the power-crazed scientist with daddy issues Hector Hammond, played by Peter Sarsgaard and the Red-faced Sinestro played by Mark Strong. Hector Hammond does not get the respect he feels he deserves from his Senator daddy, played by Tim Robbins (whose talent is severely untapped in this film), and he goes mental. Sarsgaard takes his performance way over the top, and it's hilarious. Now, Sinestro really isn't a villian in this movie, per se, but he totally has that going to the darkside vibe, and his name is Sinestro. I've really liked Marks Strong's performances in Rocknrolla (VF*) and Kick-ass (VF). He just exudes power and self control, and that also stands true for this movie.

The movie comes across as super cheesy, to the point that I didn't connect to any of the characters, but it is totally VF, so if you're desperate to see it, you have no reason to fear.

It's Kind of a Funny Story, so NOT VF I couldn't even get through it.


A real shame, because I've been intrigued by this movie ever since I saw the trailers for the movie. Teenage love in a mental ward appealed to me, and the movie had Zach Galifianakis, whom I love but he can't seem to put out a movie that is emetophobe friendly. I have enjoyed Zach Galifianakis from his stand up I've caught on Comedy Central, and he was also in the documentary The Comedians of Comedy (VF- the documentary, I can't speak to the TV show) with Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, and my personal fave Maria Bamford, which I love, but the Hangover series is one I'll never embrace for obvious reasons, and Due Date with Robert Downey jr. which my husband reported to me was not VF.

I sat down to watch It's Kind of a Funny Story with my brother and his wife, which I knew would be risky because it took place in a hospital and the Zach-factor, but I was being brave. The first V* scene made me jump so hard that I hit my head with my empty pizza plate, dumping crumbs all down my front, and the second V* scene was in quick succession, so they kindly stopped the movie. By sister-in-law kindly checked the internet for me, and it turns out that the whole V* thing seems to be a running theme through out the film. Sad for me, but if I want to catch Zach Galifianakis in cinema, I can also re-watch his one scene in Up in the Air (VF) with George Clooney, which is hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment