Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Midnight in Paris, Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom of Doom



Midnight in Paris, VF* and freaking magical. My favorite movie of the year thus far, and I loved Super 8 (Not VF).

I went into this movie knowing nothing about it but that it was going to be my first Woody Allen movie, and that my hubby is not a Woody Allen fan, but I left craving Cole Porter tunes, and sending gushing texts to my loved ones telling them to see this film. Owen Wilson was personable and funny as the nerdy protagonist whose love for the 1920s is lost on his cripplingly yuppy fiancĂ©e played by Rachael McAdams. They may have gone to Paris together, but they are most definitely not on the same trip. Cryptic, yes? The less you know you about this movie going in the better, but I will tell you, you will be enchanted, you will be in love, you will be doing the charleston.

*There is some mild drunkenness in the beginning of the film, but nothing happens.



Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom of Doom, VF, and with all the Cars B.S., a kid's movie franchise that I can get behind.

A kid's movie? Of course it's V free! Um... those of us who have seen the Judy Moody trailer know better! (If it pops up while you're at the movies or watching television and you haven't caught it yet, close your eyes as soon as you see the roller coaster, the incident is cartoony but still super gross. My Hubs is saying the Spy Kids 4 trailer is also not VF, so go get popcorn or something.)

I was a huge fan of the first Kung Fu Panda (VF), and this sequel a worthy continuation of the saga of Po (Jack Black), the pudgy panda who evolves from Kung Fu fanboy to Dragon Warrior. I was grateful that this wasn't a rehashing of the old plot about a fat guy who has a hard time with physical fitness. He may still have issues with stairs, but he's totally a Kung Fu master. This movie goes deeper into the relationship with his goose father, Mr. Ping (James Hong) which had some very touching moments, and Po's struggle for inner peace. I'm a Jack Black fan, I just can't help myself, but even people who have issues with his over the top goof-ball mannerisms will enjoy this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment